“School of Rock has been a great community for these kids. It is an alternative to extracurricular activities that a lot of these kids can really fit into where they might feel out of place in other arenas.”
School of Rock in Wichita is a journey, not a destination ! That journey for a new guitar player begins in our Rock 101 program, where students get the full benefits of our unique performance-based instruction.
The Rock 101 program includes a 45-minute individual lesson with one of our awesome teachers and a 90-minute group rehearsal. Our Rock 101 directors specialize in working with younger students and typically play along with the kids. Our curriculum is the most classic of classic rock!
- Beginner guitar students start off by learning the basic chord shapes and simple strumming patterns contained in their Rock 101 songs.
- Our guitar instructors use THE SONG AS A LESSON, introducing the student to concepts like chord progressions, time signatures, and scales for the first time.
- Once our guitar students have mastered the basic aspects of a song, our instructors will begin working on more advanced concepts: finger exercises, picking techniques and basic scales for KILLER RIFFS AND EPIC SOLOS!
- Guitar students in Rock 101 must learn a critical skill: how to tune their guitar! Our group rehearsals are a great lesson for demonstrating the importance of tuning.
- After a few weeks in Rock 101, most students are ready for the challenge of our Performance Program and are encouraged to take part in a show!
Intermediate to Advanced
The Performance Program is designed for kids who know the basics of how to play their instrument and are ready to take it to the stage. This program introduces the team element into music instruction. Students will learn harmonies, musicianship and how to perform in an authentic rock show environment.
Each season, students spend time honing their music skills while preparing to perform some of the greatest songs in rock and roll history.
Past student programs have include roof raising tributes to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, Best of the 80s, Punk Rock, Devo, Frank Zappa, Queen, and many more fun and exciting programs.
All student musicians enrolled in our Performance Program will receive:
- Weekly private music lesson.
- Weekly three-hour band rehearsal to prepare for the rock concert
- Enhanced learning in key areas such as stage performance, harmonies, musicianship and more
- Choice of new show themes every season